EARLY MILLERS POINT
Prior to European settlement, land in the Millers point area was occupied and utilized by the people of the Cadigal tribe. Millers Point and most foreshore area and Port Jackson and its waterways were rich in marine resources and provided an ideal environment in which to live and gather food for its original inhabitants.
The principal focus of early harbour settlement by the First Fleeter was Sydney Cove and in particular "The Rocks", which was the rocky, western promontory of Sydney Cove. By the 1820s, as the population grow, many new arrivals spread out into the Millers Point area.
The name 'Millers Point' appears to have arisen about this time, reflecting the social and visual significance of the early milling industry represented by the prominent windmills that had been constructed in the area by that time.
Lower Fort Street was still in its infancy in the 1830 and was little more than a widened access track, but throughout this decade it became a desirable place to build, particularly for the merchant elite associated with the maritime trade.
THE "OLIFFE TERRACE"
THE 1900s, PLAGUE AND THE SYDNEY HARBOUR TRUST
The history of the hotel is often confused by the presence of in earlier hotel with the same name. However the earlier Harbour View Hotel, which was on the corner of George and Lower Fort Streets, was demolished to make way for the Harbour Bridge.
A NEW HARBOUR VIEW
The construction of the present Harbour View Hotel in 1924 was a joint venture between the Government, who owned the land and Tooth & Co., who provided the capital. Architects were Prevost and Waterman. By 1927 it provided a convenient watering hole for the thirsty workers constructing the Harbour Bridge.
As with many hotels in the urban area, the hotel gradually felt into a poor reflection of its more illustrious past, but it has now been completely refurbished by its new owner, Mr Brian Perry, to reflect the standard of amenity generally applying to this area of modern day Sydney.
Project Manager: J&H Mothersole Pty Limited
Conservation Architects: Back & Riggs
Architects: Wayne McPhee & Associates
A RECOGNISED LOCAL LANDMARK
The building's significance has been recognized by the various authorities, having an order placed on it in 1989 by the Heritage Office and listing Permanent Conservation by the same authority in 1999 on the State Heritage register. The Council of the City of Sydney has included the hotel in its Local Environment Plan as a building of local Significance.